Week 15 Part A - My Marketing Strategy

Throughout the semester and my social media course, I've been introduced to different platforms for social media or alternate ways to use the platform. When I was using social media for work (my real job and not my fictional tutoring company), I thought of it as a way to update the students about our work events like an announcement calendar would. I didn't think of it as a way to engage with the students and stay connected. Since I had a set goal of dispensing information, the content that was created was steered in that way as well.


Since I have different goals now for social media, my marketing strategy has to change. I'm applying this strategy to Rad Math Tutoring,  which is a company of one, as I promote my services as a private math tutor for hire.  The lecture that we had to read this week asked a succinct but thoughtful question. I've been promoting the math and the company this term, but should I be branding the person? I hadn't considered of branding myself and my tutoring position against the overall company. I am the only employee after all, and I am quirky and sometimes interesting. The deciding factor is the idea that I might want to expand the company some day, so I will continue on with branding the company and list "branding myself" as a marketing option on reserve. 

I was thinking of hiring an intern for 3-4 hours a week to start. I was thinking of dedicating 6-8 hours a week to social media. I calculated based on how often I wanted to post and how long it takes me to create content. The intern can claim about half those hours. I would focus on the content-based posts and reaching out to parents. The intern could use their skills on ads, under the direction to making the subject-matter, the company, and myself seem more personable. If the intern is "fresh out of college," they might have the perspective and voice to help make our posts more accessible to teens and young adults, which is the typical age group for the people we would be tutoring. I'm at an age where current trends are starting to slip past me, and I've never been at an age where I cared to pursue them. I'd like an intern to fill those gaps for me. 

The platforms I enjoyed the most were Instagram, Facebook, and the newsletter. I enjoyed these most because of the visual nature of Instagram, the Insights that Facebook presents, and the tone of the newsletter. A newsletter isn't about being trendy. It's about sharing points of interest. Twitter is too much work too often. In the education business, it's challenging to keep tweeting every few hours. I could use LinkedIn to try to find the intern, so I am considering keeping this account active. I didn't post much to YouTube this semester since I only made one math video. Trying out YouTube will be part of my marketing exploration. My intern should have experience in video editing as well. 
 
As I go in to the next assignment--which focuses on bringing this strategy to life, or as least a draft of it--here are the goals and timelines for my marketing strategy.

Staff: Intern and myself 
Online Platforms: Instagram, Facebook, E-Newsletter
Schedule: Post 3-4 times a week on Instagram and Facebook, and generally post Monday, Wednesday, an open day, and an advertisement day. The E-Newsletter is released monthly.
Material: 75% of content and ads is to be planned in advance, especially the math content. One post a week is "off the cuff."

 

 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

Week 13 Part A - Online Advertising

Week 12 Part A - Business Specific Online Tools