Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

 I think that a human touch is something that could make Rad Math more accessible, and possibly more popular in the long term. One of the Instagram sites that I visited was The Math Guru. I started following Vanessa the Math Guru after only a few minutes of exploring the site because I saw a video of her explaining what her mission was. Her mission was to break down math stereotypes, but I could hear and see why it was so important to her. She had a casual way of speaking, instead of a stuffy-ness that we might expect from a mathematician. Vanessa looked like a rocker, and was part of a band. She was an anti-stereotype herself, and was trying to create a diverse space in mathematics for others liker her...or not like her. Creating the human connection takes something abstract and cold (like the way mathematics is perceived), and it gives someone the opportunity to explore it and think of it differently. 

Since we are talking about educational sites, it would be strange to insert personal information when doing a content tutorial. There's a time and a place, and inserting all the obstacles you had to overcome into a factoring tutorial does not seem wise. 


 

Comments

  1. I believe that this is a great way to stay interactive with your followers, she found a niche. I also believe that finding a way to advertise yourself as "different", is the best way to advertise. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I agree with the idea of "advertising yourself as different." I just need to figure out how I'd like advertise my unique views.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part B - Education-Based Businesses Research

Week 1 - Choosing themes and taking names