Week 10 Part A - Email Marketing

This week in my Social Media for Business class we are going back to marketing fundamentals and discussing the value of using newsletters to advertise a brand. An email newsletter has three big motivations (among others). It covers the communication gap for those who do not regularly follow social media (or those who are not following Rad Math Tutoring...yet). A second motivation is that a newsletter is shown to drive up traffic and sales. The third big piece is that a newsletter helps build a relationship with a brand. Much of social media can be very short--snappy, quick comments on Twitter, for example. This is an opportunity to dive in a little deeper. I think of a newsletter as a summary of "this is what's been going on with our business."

How soon is too soon?

Based on my viewpoint on newsletters pretty fixed, I think monthly distributions would work well for Rad Math Tutoring. There has to be enough time that passes so that there's new information to report on. I don't want to my followers and I to be like the couple that always repeats the same stories to each other. With education, the trends can be very slow. One of the exceptions to this has been changes due to Covid-19. Those changes in education occurred very quickly over Spring, but I would rather hold to the monthly model and send out a special edition if needed, rather than commit to a weekly model. 

 What goes in this thing?

To get an idea for content, I took some inspiration from a few sources online: Math Motivators and Math Confidence. I was also really jazzed by those names. Both sources kept their newsletters focused on 4-5 topics. That was aesthetically helpful as the newsletter wasn't cluttered or overwhelming. It also suits the attention span of myself and other readers. A math puzzle at the end of the email newsletter is a must. It will draw the reader to scroll through the other topics. A puzzle also makes an educational newsletter more interactive and fun, overall. I think an events section would be good for STEM activities and  educational conferences. Since so much of education is centered around technology and studying from home currently, I would also like a "Featured Site" or "Featured Tech" section. With those three topics set, then there is more flexibility for the last topic to be anything that seems of interest to Rad Math Tutoring. The last topic could vary from interviews, to student issues, to educational resources. I like to leave a little room to get inventive.  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed how you began your blog post with a summary of what a Newsletter is and its three big motivations. I also agree on making your newsletter be sent once a month opposed to weekly, I could see people feeling like the material being sent is the same because math is hard to switch up due to formulas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part B - Education-Based Businesses Research

Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

Week 1 - Choosing themes and taking names