Week 9 Post B - Blogs, Vlogs, and Such

 For a Rad Math Tutoring blog, I was thinking I could break content down into 4 categories: educational math content, entertainment (funny or positive) math content, puzzles, events. The educational math content could include my take on a very specific math topic (usually focused is better), a comparison of different ways to approach the same problem, or even worked out solution to a problem that a follower submits. Having followers submit questions could be a good way to keep viewers engaged and active. When people follow an educational site, they probably want to see some applications of the knowledge or a few "how to" posts. However, I would not want the blog to turn into Chegg or some other website where students are just looking for answers to their homework.

 The entertainment content would include STEM jokes, memes, and riddles. It would also include motivational quotes and stories. These may seem like two different categories, but both the funny posts and motivational posts are aimed to help the readers feel good about a subject that could be intimidating to them. The motivational stories can be some from my friends and family, so that the readers feel more connected to me. They can also be stories that followers submit. This would be to allow followers to connect by giving something about themselves back. On the off chance that no one has ever asked them to share their experiences in education, it gives them an outlet. 

Puzzles are just fun and a great mental exercise! "You learn math by doing math," said some nameless person who was very clever. (I've only ever seen this claim as a meme, but there's truth to it.) It would be disappointing to have a math education blog and not include a "challenge of the month" problem. People can be very competitive, against others and also toward themselves. I could have the readers submit their solutions. The best 2-3 solutions are posted or win a prize (mentally setting aside a budget for prizes and giveaways). There could also be simpler puzzles every 1-2 weeks: sudoku, kakuro, magic squares...the list could go on for a while!

Events was a category suggested by my friend when I was asking them for advice. I am not sold on hosting LIVE events and tutoring demos, yet. I'll need to work up the courage for that, but I did think it was a good idea. At the very least, I could try to find public math and science events in my area and online events, while consolidating that information for others. I would feel comfortable with that for the present.

There are just some roles in Rad Math Tutoring that I'll have to grow into.


Note: I commented on the blogs of Engir, Cara, and Margaret this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part B - Education-Based Businesses Research

Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

Week 1 - Choosing themes and taking names