Week 6 Post B - Facebook Strategy

There's a scheduling feature on Facebook?

I have learned so much in this social media class. Much of what I have learned has been conceptual, but there are also technical pieces I am learning that make the work easier. You can plan your posts on Facebook in advance or delay their posting date, using the Schedule tool. I planned three posts for the upcoming week (below).



To understand the purpose of the posts, it helps understand where Rad Math Tutoring is going... 

When I created my Rad Math Tutoring Facebook page, I included very serious tones so that it would come across as a legitimate educational site. Over the past week, I have refined the page as the vision becomes more clear. I took down the background with the George Washington Carver quote in a dark gold that read, "Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." It's a beautiful quote, and it represents what I value in education. However, that might have been a little heavy for the middle school and high school students I'm looking to reach out to.

I gave the page a makeover, which included choosing a colorful new Facebook background that complemented the playful logo. I also emphasized positivity and a growth mindset in the About section. I can see why companies have a mission statement. It establishes and preserves the vision. All choices about the posts are made through that lens.

I try to keep the language in the posts simple, but not juvenile. Many of the wording choices and posts are about eliciting enjoyment, sharing humor, and providing support. My first goal is to try to direct students to see math in a positive way. For some students, that will be challenging because that involves trying to change established thought patterns and associations. The public generally sees math as something cold and challenging, only to be mastered by the chosen few. I would like them to see it as something more varied. Math can be humanistic. People developed it, after all. There also exists humor and creativity, and there exists the possibility of improvement by way of practice. We all can be math people. 

One of the three posts introduces a Friday math joke to start the weekend off with a smile. I also plan to include #MotivationalMonday posts to start of the week off with some thoughtful insight, asking students to share their experiences and engage. On October 12, I'm asking the viewers to share a goal for the week. For the third post on October 14, I included a link to an eye-opening Ted Talk about how to teach math in a similar way to teaching a language. With these three posts back-to-back, I hope to start breaking down the barriers. Hiya!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part B - Education-Based Businesses Research

Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

Week 1 - Choosing themes and taking names