Week 5 - Setting up a Facebook Business Page

Post Reach vs. Post Engagement

As I dive into social media for business (in my case, my fake tutoring business called Rad Math Tutoring), I created my first business page on Facebook. I'm in the early stages of developing the Rad Math brand, trying to attract viewership and contact to my Facebook page. These words represent two distinct concepts; in social media, the concepts are referred to as post reach and post engagement. Post reach covers the idea of viewership--how many unique people see the post. Post engagement covers the idea of contact--how many unique people are reacting to and interacting with the post through such things as clicks, likes, and shares. Knowing the difference between the concepts is important because one of them is more powerful in the overall success of marketing a business.

To view an advertisement means little to me. For example, I can view an insurance company's postcard throughout the entire process of slipping it into the recycling bin. If there is no interest or emotion generated from that viewing or in reading a social media post, in general, it becomes forgettable very quickly. However, post engagement is powerful. It can mean the continued interest and support of a customer. Engagement can offer measurable metrics, which can tell a company more about their target market. For example, what kind of topics do followers like best in the posts? 

After visiting this site describing Facebook Insights, I was pretty impressed and maybe a little freaked out by how many metrics Facebook is offering businesses about use and engagement. Facebook Insights relays information about positive vs. negative engagement, organizes information based on the type of post, and breaks down the demographics of your fans in the "people" tab. With this level of detail, there is more opportunity to access the interests of the fans and create meaningful content to engage followers. From these interactions, hopefully a loyal base is created and a business thrives. 


Note: I commented on the Facebook pages of Marla, Engir, and Casey. I apologize for the late creation of my business page as it puts the team in a tough spot when they are asked to post on my page (and it doesn't exist). I will try my best to follow the weekly deadlines. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part B - Education-Based Businesses Research

Week 9 Post A - Adding a Personal Touch

Week 1 - Choosing themes and taking names